Råbäcks mekaniska stenhuggeri
Råbäck
The stoneworking industry on Kinnekulle has roots dating back to the 11th century. The area became an early centre for skilled craftsmen. Stoneworking remained a traditional craft until the mid 19th century, when mechanisation began to take hold. Råbäcks Mechanical Stoneworks was founded by Carl Klingspor in 1888.
The stoneworking industry on Kinnekulle has roots dating back to the 11th century. The area became an early centre for skilled craftsmen, as evidenced by the many sandstone churches built during the 12th and 13th centuries. Stoneworking remained a traditional craft until the mid 19th century, when mechanisation began to take hold. Råbäcks Mechanical Stoneworks was founded by Carl Klingspor in 1888.
The stoneworks primarily produced building materials from red and grey limestone. Products included staircases, flooring, window sills, friezes and portals, as well as gravestones, feeding troughs, garden stone and much more.
Around the turn of the 20th century, 45–50 people worked here, around half of them in the quarry. It is easy to imagine how lively and busy the site must have been at the time. As late as the mid 1960s, around ten stonemasons were still working in the workshops. Demand subsequently declined, and operations ceased in 1970.
Thirteen years later, Råbäcks Stoneworks became a working life museum, and the old workshop, with its preserved machinery, was protected as a listed building in 1984. The stoneworks as a whole has an extensive collection of machinery.
The Quarry and Harbour
The limestone was quarried from the mountain two kilometres from the harbour and transported to the stoneworks by horse and cart. The finished stone was mainly transported by boat to towns around Lake Vänern and along the west coast, and at times also to Denmark. Over time, maritime transport declined in favour of rail and road transport. Burnt lime from Råbäck's large limeworks was also shipped from the harbour.
Stoneworking in the 21st Century
Today, Kinnekulle stone is quarried and processed by Thorsbergs Stenhuggeri in Gössäter, the only remaining stoneworks on Kinnekulle. A foundation and an association maintain Råbäcks Mechanical Stoneworks and actively work to preserve and pass on knowledge of the craft and its local history.
Motorhome and Caravan Restriction
Motorhomes and caravans are not permitted to drive down to Råbäck Harbour.
Getting Here by Public Transport
By train with Västtrafik/ Västtågen
The destination can be reached by Västtrafik/Västtågen train. Get off at the Trolmen station . For timetable information, visit www.vasttrafik.se, or plan your journey using the Västtrafik To Go app or journey planner.
For questions or further information, visit www.vasttrafik.se.
Råbäcks Mekaniska Stenhuggeri
53394 Hällekis
Phone: +46 72 565 31 00
E-mail: Send e-mail
Website: rabacksstenhuggeri.se